Want Us To Contact You?
PSA CPA can help you apply for an ITIN or renew your tax ID number. We understand that the ITIN process can be complicated, so we are here to make it as easy as possible for you.
What is an ITIN?
An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a 9-digit number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to individuals who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have, and are not eligible to obtain, a Social Security number (SSN).
ITINs that have not been used on a federal income tax return at least once for tax years 2019, 2020, or 2022 will expire on December 31, 2023. This includes ITINs that were issued as early as 2013.
In addition, all ITINs with middle digits 88 will expire at the end of 2023. This includes ITINs that have been used on a tax return.
Finally, all ITINs with middle digits 90, 91, 92, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, or 99 that were assigned before 2013 and have not already been renewed will also expire at the end of 2023. This includes ITINs that have been used on a tax return.
Our Certified Acceptance Agents (CAAs) can verify your supporting documents for your ITIN or ITIN renewal application. This means you can leave your original documents with us and only send copies to the IRS. You can apply for an ITIN or ITIN renewal at a participating location for free.
If you need to file a U.S. tax return but don’t have a Social Security number, you must get an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) from the IRS. The process can be complicated, especially with the new requirements under the PATH Act.
Under the PATH Act, taxpayers who have not used their ITIN on a tax return in the last three years must renew their ITIN before filing a new tax return.
Frequently Asked Questions?
What is an ITIN
An ITIN, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is a nine-digit number issued by the IRS to people who need to file U.S. taxes but don’t have a Social Security number. ITINs are for federal tax reporting only.
What does an ITIN not do?
An ITIN does NOT:
- Authorize work in the United States.
- Provide eligibility for Social Security benefits.
- Qualify a dependent for Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) purposes.
- Provide any other immigration benefits.
Who needs an ITIN?
- Nonresident aliens who are required to file a U.S. tax return.
- Resident aliens who are required to file a U.S. tax return due to the number of days they reside in the United States.
- Dependents or spouses of U.S. citizens or resident aliens.
- Dependents or spouses of nonresident alien visa holders.
- Nonresident alien students, professors, or researchers filing a U.S. tax return or claiming an exception.
How do you apply for an ITIN?
When should I apply for an ITIN?
When Will I receive my ITIN?
I applied for my ITIN 7 weeks ago and still do not have it. What should I do?
If you haven’t received your ITIN or any other IRS correspondence within 7 weeks of applying, call the IRS toll-free number:
- 1-800-829-1040 if you’re in the United States.
- 267-941-1000 (not toll-free) if you’re outside the United States.
How can I get an ITIN quickly?
Here are the acceptable documents for getting an ITIN:
- Passport (stand-alone document)
- National identification card (must show photo, name, current address, date of birth, and expiration date)
- U.S. driver’s license
- Civil birth certificate (required for dependents under 18 years of age)
- Foreign driver’s license
How much does an ITIN cost?
ITIN applications are free. However, some Acceptance Agents may charge a fee for their services. This fee is not paid to the IRS and is not required to obtain an ITIN.
If you have previously applied for an ITIN and need to find your ITIN number, you can call the IRS toll-free at 1-800-829-1040.
Can I get an ITIN online?
U.S. residents and non-resident aliens can comply all paperworks for ITIN online. ITIN applications are also accepted through mail
How long does it take to get an Itin?
The IRS will send you a letter with your tax identification number within seven weeks.
We want to hear from you!
Please fill out this form and let us know how we can be of service. We will happily offer you
a free quote and discuss your taxes to assess what services are needed.